Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My Comic Book - Day 12 - Page 22

Well. This is it. Sniff. Sniff. My final day of the 13 day PTO that my company had given me is over! 13 days of just keeping 8 hour days to work on my comic book. 1 day had to be spent on my car ol' Betsy, of course, but generally I kept to it.

What a day this was too! With only one panel to solve, I was able to have a good final day of vacation. I played some video games, bought some comic books, ate lunch with friends, bought a video game, and oh yeah, I saw a baby on the first day it was born! How's that for a day?! So tomorrow I go back to work. Unfortunately that means my posts will have to slow down too. But that won't mean I'll stop working on my book! I added 2 more pages to this first issue, so maybe I'll post those up as I progress.

But that's the future, for now, onto the finish of page 22!

My friend Roque had made 2 suggestions before I put this page to it's finished form. One was to add a background to panels 4 and 5, giving the reader a visual 'constant' that lets the reader 'animate' the robot's tilt backward when reading the panels. The second suggestion was to create a more dynamic angle for panel 6. The old one from the layout pages was a little boring, and didn't seem very exciting at all.

I think what happens to me most of the time is that my brain gets so heavy into trying to solve the problem of storytelling that the 'fun' factor goes away. I end up being able to tell the story, but it can mean ending up with stale compositions (If I remember, I'll post up a splash page I did early on in the book, where I have a ton of stale compositions just because I wanted to page to be done already! Luckily, I had my other friend Shanth give me some constructive feedback). I usually have to step back from the drawing for awhile to be snapped out of boring compositions. I have to remember "Hey! Comic books are fun! Dynamic compositions are cool! I have to look at Jack Kirby's work and get recharged!"


That panel (panel 6) gave me some difficulty trying to figure out, but I think I drew something that I'm fairly happy with. Good suggestions from the Rock man and all in all, I'm pretty happy with how this page turned out.

So 5 pages in 2 and a half weeks. Wow that's slow! I gotta figure out how to go faster! This experience was very educational, it taught me a lot about the characters in my book, who they are, what they look like from various angles, the world they live in, what methods are faster to draw them and just generally how I tend to work. I've got a total of 22 pages finished for my book... only two more to go! I'm pretty excited to finish it off!

Anyway, thanks for stopping by! I will now go back to my regular slow posting speed! Until my next post! Good night and God Bless!

7 comments:

Alan said...

Rad page. This book is gonna sell like hot cakes.

You need an inker to go faster. Or... a Cintiq. BYAAAH!

Biggedy said...

Byaaah! Dunno about hotcakes, but thanks! I'm slowing down a bit when I went back to work, so I'm going to have to push myself back to the drawing board again!

Unknown said...

Arvin, you crazy bastard! Ha ha! The pages look awesome, dude! I think you should try and re-configure your PS2 controller so that you can use it to draw comics. You'll be cranking out that puppy in no time FLAT!

Biggedy said...

Aha! The insidious mr. Lookback! My Arch Nemesis! I was hoping to just draw the panels on my DS via pictochat, but alas I would always end up playing Feel the Magic instead!

Anonymous said...

well, well , well, if it isnt Biggedy! Wow man, you work is looking fantastic!!! Love the graphic style and flow. Very inspiring! I look forward to reading it in print.

andy ristaino said...

hey arvin,

found your blog via ghostbot!
good luck on finishing the book! your art looks awesome!!!!!
i
can't wait to hold the finished product in my hand.


andy

Biggedy said...

Aha! Well if it isn't the good ol' boys, the company-man of the Bombaby and the one from the Anderson Landbridge company! Thanks for the encouragement! I have both of your books at my desk when I draw, to push me along on those cold-brain nights! You guys are teh Roxxorz! I'll definitely have to hit you guys up for pin ups! (don't worry the rate I'm going that won't be until 5 years from now!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...