Sunday, March 20, 2016

24 hours from now... I will be watching Batman v Superman!

Twenty Fours hours from now, I get to watch the advanced IMAX 3D screening of Batman v Superman at the metreon! I'm so excited! I got the complimentary ticket because the first teaser trailer got leaked early online. The quality was pretty horrible and the internet hate poured onto the movie. From day one this movie has gotten so much hate it's a little insane. But BvS marketing has been pulling out the stops to make sure this movie at least gets a fair shake...

So then, Zack Snyder and the WB decided to give free advance screening passes to the people that went to the free teaser screening that night as a nice gesture to keep the fans happy. I got some flack from some people I work with about going to watch a teaser trailer on an IMAX screen, but I guess it was all worth it after all, eh? The teaser looked great on the IMAX screen even without the free passes by the way!
Sketch phase - I was going to add a silhouette of Lex at the top, but I couldn't really get it to work.
I've gotten accustomed to just a quick sketch to start with. I do most of the thinking in the digital inking stage.
How to render out Wonder Woman was a mystery to me at this point, but I was kinda crossing my fingers
I'd figure it out later when I get the big two inked up...
Black and White digital inks stage - I just placed the official logo on top to
complete the image. Wonder Woman helps me to be lazy with the two big figures
because I didn't have to draw the rest of them from the waist down!

I kept messing around with the color saturation of the background because I wanted it to have the feel of the palette of the movie, but after way too many hours messing with it, I decided to keep it the same saturation I initially had planned for it. At the end of the day, it's just how I mix colors, and I was more satisfied with the final colors sticking to what I knew...
Final colors - this stage is always a love/hate relationship for me. I can never seem to preserve the stark
contrast of the black and whites when I 'translate' it into color. Usually I find a palette that I can live with
and move on. Otherwise, I end up messing with the Hue/Saturation sliders until the cows come home!
I think I like my initial drawing for BVS more because it was in such an odd  size and the color application was simpler. And I think I was actually able to 'translate' the stark contrast of the black and white images for that one better. For this one though, I think it's dimensions make it easier to see it on a computer monitor and are set up more in a traditional movie poster design.

Anyway, as I type this up, I'm listening to the excellent Batman v Superman soundtrack that got officially released on youTube. My hype levels are astronomical!  I'll be jut a few hours away from witnessing the greatest gladiator match the world has ever known! Batman v Superman is going to be awesome! Signing off for now and I hope I can sleep tonight!

Wednesday, March 09, 2016

My Comic: Issue 3 Page 6 Final Colors

I've found as I'm coloring in these pages that I've been slowly adding a lot of detail to my drawings with each successive issue. Some of it, I feel is a necessity and it's not necessarily a bad thing... but it sure takes me a lot more time to color these panels!

There's still a few fixes that need to be done, from editing down some
of the dialogue, the lettering bubbles and the font sizes. But for the most part
this page is as good as done!

That's another page (almost) in the can! 18 more pages to go! 

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

My Comic: Issue 3 Pages 2 and 3 Final colors

Just a quick post for this super early morning. I need to get to sleep! Finished up the colors for the opening splash page of issue #3 of The Bomb Squad. The "color artist me" is so angry at the "penciler me" for drawing so many stupid trees and buildings on this page...

The first pass of colors was just me blocking in the basic colors. I didn't
have the .PSDs of the previous issue, so I just eyeballed the colors.

A few more tweaks on colors and I started to add shadows.
I matched the colors of the trees to what I had them colored in issue #2,
but I wasn't too sure about it being such a blue hue... I switched it to a yellower-green color to brighten it up a bit.
I colored in the second panel a bit as well as the Megaphone shadows.
Slow and steady!

Final colors! Whew. Added a bluer shadow
for the trees to try to bring it back it it's original hue.
This thing took a looong time for me to do. Longer than what I wanted at least! Considering how fast I can usually color my comic book pages, this took forever. All the detail on this splash page really made it tedious applying the colors. But I like how it's ended up so far... 

That's it for this morning. Time to sleep!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...