Pages

Monday, March 02, 2009

Wondercon 2009 Day 3



Hoooo-wheeeee! Wondercon is over and I am beat! Day three wasn't as insane as Day two, but not as mellow as Day 1. It was raining that day, but people still braved the weather and there was a good amount. Saturday was such an awesome day for sales I only had 7 copies left to sell, and sell them I did! I actually sold out!


Sue! Wheat! I am very thankful to all the people that came by the booth and bought a copy of my book. Every bit of encouragement helps for me to keep on going! I'm also very thankful for the guys over at Ghostbot for letting me share their space and work the booth. And of course, I'm very thankful to God that He's given me the opportunity to be able to pursue a dream I've had since I was a kid!

It was a very tiring weekend and we were all on our last legs because of the madness of Saturday, but we all trooped on and managed to push a few books. I took a quick break and visited a couple friends of mine from RISD: Andy Ristaino and Chris Bennett.

I hung out with them at the end of the first day and we ended up going into a CBLDF sponsored auction where people could donate sketches for people to buy and have the proceeds go to the CBLDF. That was a lot of fun, I don't think I've just sat around drawing with other artists in a long time! Anyway, it was cool to see Andy and Chris again.



I think the biggest highlight for me happened around the end of the day, as we were breaking down the booth. We were handing out free sketches that day, but ended up having one left over. It was a drawing by Brad and it was just kinda laying around at the booth, when a little girl with her father walked by. I figured, why let the sketch go to waste? And told them they could have a free sketch. At first they were in disbelief when I told them, but they were so happy when I gave them the drawing.

They wanted to thank the artist that drew it, but unfortunately Brad was taking a lunch break (yeah, his lunch was at 4:45 or something that day!). Still, they were very happy and I caught glimpses of the daughter showing off her cool Wondercon Sketch to the rest of the family. Brad had finally returned and while we were telling him how his sketch made a little girl's day, that family passed by the booth again.

They were so happy to see the man who had created the sketch, and immediately wanted to snap a picture with him. They wholeheartedly thanked Brad and It was so cool to see the geniune appreciation they had for him and his sketch.



After a week of just busting out sketches, putting on our salesmen gamefaces and worrying about how to sell as much of our stuff as possible, it was nice to see someone actually appreciate the artist behind the sketches. It was a good way to end our first con!

At the end of the day, packing up the Ghostbot/ Bomb Squad booth was pretty efficient with all four of us pitching in.

That's it for tonight's post! Wondercon is over and the neverending battle continues! Goodnight and God Bless!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey!, who is that handsome man a few photos down...your website is going to crash with the traffic you should be getting when people find out my mug is on it:P
It was a blast to see you guys and hang out, hopefully we can hang out and be artsy again sometime so...it took a few years after college, but were finally doing the con thing, how awesome is that!

Biggedy said...

Yeah no kidding! Kinda wild that the thing driving me is still comics! Doing the con was definitely an awesome experience! At the very least I'll try to hit the Wondercon again next year, hopefully I'll have issue two by then! We can hit Henry's Hunan again!

Alan said...

Well played Arv. It was a super awesome experience.

Biggedy said...

Yes it was! You guys will be getting your copy of the sketchbook soon, but it won't be for anothoer month. Kinda long, but it'll be one of a few trade paperback editions of the thing!

Anonymous said...

Pare, congrats! congrats! congrats!

Alan said...

Hey I get "second edition"? What gives??!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...